Auguste Moreau was born in Paris in 1834 - 1917
The youngest son of sculptor and painter Jean-Baptiste Moreau.
He studied with his father and also under Aimé Millet,
Augustin Drumont and Jean Thomas. Each of the three Moreau brothers – Hippolyte,
Marthurin and Auguste – have become renowned for the quality and the
beauty of their figurative sculpture.
The most popular art school at the lifetime of Moreau was
the “École des Beaux-Arts” in Paris.
Since 1968 this famous art academy has been called “École nationale
supérieure des beaux-arts de Paris”.
It was founded on April 20, 1797 as „École spéciale de peinture,
de sculpture et d’architecture“ and was officially acknowledged by
the French King Louis XVIII in 1819.
The most renowned one of Paris’ art schools is located in the district
Saint-Germain-des-Prés and extends over an area of approximately 2 hectare.
In the past there was the Augustinian monastery “couvent des Saints-Augustins“
at this location. Even today its little chapel is preserved.
The studies at the art academy are always held in studios.
That means about 10 to 20 students learn and work together
in small classes under supervision of a lecturer.
In 1861, Auguste made his debut at the Salon where he would
exhibit regularly until 1913. His subjects were primarily young maidens
sensuously clad in swirling diaphanous dress and usually decorated
with flowers and birds or allegorical and genre scenes incorporating cupids
and young children. His style was realistic and graceful, revealing
his relation to the other members of the Moreau family.
His compositions encapsulate a feeling of innocence whilst
incorporating an air of mischievous game.